GET TO KNOW: SIMON MANTELL FROM MANTELLI’S
Mantelli’s produces world class premium biscuits specialising in smaller runs of niche biscuits and cookies which have a significant handmade component differentiating them from biscuits produced in mainstream factories.
We had the opportunity to ask Marco a few questions on the food and beverage industry before FoodnNext. See what he had to say:
FNA: What do you believe has been the key change in the F&B sector over the past five years?
SM: 1) Tough economic conditions – less business travel
2) Margin pressure for F&B channel as a result of increased overheads and declining sales in real terms
3) In many cases, a lowering of quality standards to meet the new price points
4) Extraneous factors like the weak rand, low confidence and drought
FNA: Where do you see the three key challenges driving innovation in the industry over the next five years?
SM: 1) Relatively small and disparate market
2) Cost of bringing innovation to market when volumes are small in relative terms
3) Customers, owing to pressures explained above, are reticent to pay for innovation
FNA: The F&B sector is undergoing huge change. What are the three tips you would give for success in the coming five years.
SM: 1) Differentiate one’s business from the competitors
2) Continue to improve efficiency
3) Remember that in chaos there is opportunity – look for and then develop these opportunities
FNA: Which type of people do you believe would gain the most form attending your session this year?
SM: Start-ups and established medium sized food manufacturers